Since I’d like to refer principles of Satanism in later posts, but there are many mistaken beliefs about that religion, I decided to devote this post to introduce Satanism in a nutshell. This post is intended to give a glance to Satanism as it is defined by Anton LaVey, who estabilished the Church of Satan and published The Satanic Bible.
For a moment, imagine there’s no religion in the world. There is no supreme being that controls your life. Only you are present, as a product of evolution. There are other human beings around you, being on the same level of existence. All humans, including you, are like animals, with only the primordial needs: to eat, to breed, and to feel as good as possible. However, you have to be aware of the laws of your social environment. If you killed another human, you would also be killed, or cast off from the flock. If you do anything that’s not acceptable for the members around you, you get some punishment for it. Not because of God, not because of karma, but simply because if you limit and interfere with the living space of others, they might probably do the same to you. This is one of the cornerstones of Satanism, the “eye for an eye” attitude, which originates from lex talionis. Another one is religious skepticism, which simply means that you question the necessity of religion, and accept yourself as capable of making decisions based only on your own morality and logic. Satanists are not necessarily aggressive anti-religionists, rather materialists and humanists, The last cornerstone is freethought, which declares that truth should be formed by logic, cognition or knowledge, instead of religion, dogma, or beliefs. Satanistm is not atheism. It does not take efforts neither to fight with other religions nor to evangelize, it is rather in a dont-care state. If you’d ask a satanist if what it is all about, a probable answer would be: I haven’t encountered any proof if any supreme being exists, and I don’t even care about it. I’m trying to live my life to the fullest, making decisions based on material and social laws instead of based on non-physical ones. If I had to call someone God, I’d claim myself as my own God.
Satanism is neither harmful, nor unrealistic so far. WIthout deep explanation of the following statements and rules of Satanism, I just include them here, like they are present in the Satanic Bible.
The nine satanic statements:
- Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.
- Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.
- Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.
- Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.
- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.
- Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.
- Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all.
- Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.
- Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years
So the main principles here are law of retaliation, the ignorance of any beliefs over materialism and logic, and the rejection of abstinence and unconditional obedience to spiritual laws. This behavioral pattern closely resembles to one that can be observed at a wild wolf pack, they just try to optimize their level of existence regarding to their primordial needs.
The eleven satanic rules of Earth:
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s lair, show them respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm young children.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
These rules can be summarized as “live and let live”, which is also not a newfangled idea. Your home is your own fortress. Show respect to others at their home. Don’t offend anyone as long as they are not threatening your existence and well-being. Rule 7, the usage of magic would require deeper analysis of The Satanic Bible, however, the concept of satanist magic is not necessary for understanding later posts.
The nine satanic sins:
- Herd Conformity
- Lack of Perspective
- Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
- Counterproductive Pride
- Lack of Aesthetics
Again, nothing unrealistic, nothing dogmatic. Just sober thoughts of an intelligent man. If you learn how to avoid these sins, you’ll have a chance to live a live full of satisfaction, creativity, and probably will be a better person. Involving external Gods in the process of human evolution is not necessary. But where are the red, horned demons? Where are the inverted crosses? Where is the anti-Christ? Well, those things are created by Hollywood and by spoiled teens who are trying to legitimize their childish feelings like anger or selfishness. There are, however, some principles of supernatural beings, or archetypes, even some dogma in satanism, since LaVey claims they are needed, and even if that part of this religion seems unrealistic, it serves useful purposes.
If you’d ask if I’m a satanist, the answer is no. I was a satanist though, and did nothing that would disqualify me from being one. In this blog I intend to point out an important thing about religions, the fact that all religions lead us towards the same goal, namely, to reach happiness and fulfillment. The dogma and symbology are just wrappings of the same present. Even Pope Francis has insight to that. Jesus and Satan are not arch-enemies, but on the cotarary, they are friends whose intention is to teach us together about something even larger than themselves.